Sunday, September 17, 2006

Hullo friends!

It's about time I suppose, I set up some sort of repository for my (mis)adventures in the midwest of the US of A. It's been exactly a month since I arrived and school's been going on for the past 4 weeks which really explains my absence thus far - I arrived just in time for school to start, without accomodation, or anything remotely resembling a plan as to how I was going to get through the next 10 or so months here. Suffice to say, I've survived, and despite being thrown into the deep end without so much as a lifebuoy I have managed to avoid drowning or being eaten by sharks.

Washington University, for the uninitiated, is in St Louis, which is in Missouri, which is a state in the midwest. No, it is not in Washington state, nor is it in Washington, Capital of America (And no, capital of America is not New York). The university is a quiet little place in well, University City in St Louis and is really quite a quaint pretty place. It's basically a sort of converted castle with huge arch windows and dark wood floors and the works and is honestly very very breathtaking. Has a terribly academic feel to it and walking through its stone hallways almost makes me feel scholarly.

I arrived here about a month ago, to a warm reception from a secondary school friend who was kind enough to put me up since Wash U DOES NOT HAVE HOUSING FOR GRAD STUDENTS )**&&*&!!!!! and I thought I would be smart and not risk getting misled by online agents and accidentally end up renting myself some barely inhabitable rat hole. So the first week was marked by frantic apartment hunting and to my great pride and pleasure, i found a lovely studio apartment 10 minutes walk from school for a pretty decent price (610USD) a month and uh-hm, even negotiated the lease down from a 12 month lease to a 10 month one (yes yes, I am that good). There was one slight problem though.

IT WAS COMPLETELY UNFURNISHED. empty. devoid of furniture like substances.

So that marked the beginning of a 3 day long mad search for furniture, oh I am such an expert at craig's list and online used-anything-under-the-sun searches now which eventually culminated in me having to rent a HUGE ASS VAN to transport all the bits and pieces of furniture I bought from all over st louis to my new place. (my sofa came from someone's basement. my bed belonged to a highschool girl. WHO USED LEOPARD PRINT SHEETS. the mattress was also stained on oneside with something that looked suspiciously like blood but her mother assured me it was wine. Which of course begs the question of why a HIGH SCHOOL GIRL'S BED WOULD HAVE WINE ON IT!) In the process, I also picked up:

1. a microwave
2. ricecooker
3. kettle
4. toaster
5. 1 huge ass frying pan
6. 1 huge ass soup pot
7. A set of 7 chef's knives (it was on sale, don't ask)
8. 1 chopping board
9. Plates and bowls
10. Cutlery
11. A standing lamp and a bedside lamp (which were both from someone else's basement)
12. Pillows, cushions and various other soft fluffy things
13. A steam iron
14. A teeny tiny ironing board
15. A mop, broom and other cleaning implements.

So. Within a week of my arrival, I had set up my home away from home from scratch. And i'll tell you now, that I'm so proud of myself. It wasn't easy, it was actually very very tough, the first night I slept in my apartment, it was on the floor with a borrowed comforter. I thought I was going to die there alone and I suppose what makes it so hard is that it's so difficult to get around when you know virtually no one or nothing at all about the place. If nothing else, this is one thing that makes the trip all that worthwhile, being completely and totally independent and self-sufficient. So, with further ado, this is my humble abode:








It's a studio apartment with attached bathroom kitchen dining area. Very nice really.




This is my work area/couch-y place where i suppose i hang out. i will have you know i MADE THE WORK DESK AND WORK SHELF FROM SCRATCH. broke my toenail in the process. Note the lack of a tv.




This is the dining area, would you believe I bought the dining table and 4 chairs for 50USD?? Of course, i had to venture into a most unsavoury part of town to get it but I had my big ass van so I suppose I could ahve run over anyone who tried to rob me.



The kitchen, I love the fact that this apartment is about a hundred years old and the cabinets are the original ones. Amazing innit?



The bathroon, the toiletbowl and the FEROCIOUS FLUSH. everytime i flush, i depress the lever then leap away because the bowl spews water ALL OVER THE PLACE. DISGUSTING. but at least, there is never the problem of floaters.

oh, and my favouritest part of the apartment:





WALK IN WARDROBE!!!!!

So, it's a pretty nice place really and this is what it looks like from the outside:





And now friends, I have to leave you because I have a ton of readings to catch up on, yes yes, I am a mugger, so until next time, be good!

UP NEXT: IS IT TRUE THAT THERE IS AN INSTITUTION OF HIGHER LEARNING IN THE MIDWEST? AND IF IT IS, WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY LOOK LIKE? A BARN IN THE WILDERNESS? LESSONS IN A COWSHED? STAY TUNED....

6 Comments:

Blogger toffees, anyone? said...

eeeeee your flush is damn gross.
But...
WALK IN WARDROBE!!!!
you win.


i also want....

12:44 PM  
Blogger ying said...

OMG!! WALK IN WARDROBE!!!!! i officially hate u wlw! hahahaha.

But I is how jealous of your very very very nice studio apartment. sure beats my supposedly-mice-invested building.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

nice apartment! I WANT A WALK IN WARDROBE TOO! and a shoe conveyor belt. hahahaa. anw have fun and take care (:

12:34 AM  
Blogger Zhu!!! said...

what a cliffhanger...

5:19 AM  
Blogger shoo said...

wa you're place is HUGE compared to my teeny tiny little room.

6:14 AM  
Blogger dundundugi said...

Cousin ying: Hullo! As it turned out, I didn't get 409, although the room i viewed was 409. I'm in 407. But like that makes a big difference. I was really lucky to get Muny's couch although it is ultra gross hence the throw.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home