Thursday, April 12, 2007

I heart New York Part I

I realise that my last post was rather humanless so at Zhu's exhortation I am back with more. Now that you've seen winter in my neck of the woods (hurhurhur isn't that adorable? Neck of the woods? Who uses that?) I suppose now's as good a time as any to write a little about Winter break in New York.

New York. Where does one even begin? This grand dame of cities, this true capital of capitalism, this temple of consumerism, this beating bleeding heart of the most powerful nation in the world. I wrote earlier that Chicago was a city on the way up, a city with her eye on the prize and an unwavering drive to make it to the top of the pile. If that is true, then New York is the city on the top of that pile, the city that holds within her nonchalant grasp, the prize that all others strive for. She sits utterly comfortable in her own skin, unapologetic for her flaws and more than a little intolerant of excuses, failures and mediocrity. I used to think that I'd give anything for an opportunity to live and work in New York. Never anything long term of course, just long enough to get my hands dirty working the legendary hours and living the legendary lifestyle but not long enough for the city to chew me up and spit me out. I have my doubts now, having spent 3 weeks in this metropolitan mayhem where everything while undeniably alive vibrant and throbbing just seems more than a little intrusive. One pigeonhole apartment overlooks into another pigeonhole apartment, buildings stand shoulder to shoulder, and cars are gridlocked bumper to bumper, altogether making for a picture that is just a little too claustrophobic for my tastes.

Don't get me wrong, New York is truly an amazing city. It's streets pulsate with a life that is infectious. It's people stride block after block with a purpose and a goal. It is a metropolitan jewel that has something to offer for every imaginable appetite. But it is not without its price. You see those who have tried but failed in the homeless and the destitute who are perhaps more than a little bountiful. You see the intensity of the rat race and get a keen feel for what is truly meant by the phrase "cutthroat". I do hope you're not now under the impression that I had a terrible time in New York. To the contrary really, it was one of the best vacations I've had and I suppose now's as good a time as any to express my greatest appreciation to my kind kind kind host Shoumin, who not only hosted me, but Mark and Darius as well. I'll admit, I was a little skeptical about spending 3 weeks with 2 guys I barely knew; I didn't even know what Darius looked like and the only thing I'd said to Mark was that his birkenstock monk shoes were ugly in Con Law but rather serendipitously, everything worked out for the best. These 3 were such fantastic travel mates; no one was picky or difficult to get along with. Darius wanted to eat EVERYTHING, Mark wanted to BUY EVERYTHING and Shoumin was just there leading the ride. It was fantastic. What I really loved about New York though, more than the shopping, (yes yes, who knew) was the FOOD. Every which way there was something I wanted to try. We had this fantastic After New Year's day brunch at this charming little bistro near SHoumin's apartment and for some reason, that just stuck in my mind as being especially good. Oh and another thing I really like - BROADWAY. I tell you, I could bankrupt myself going to all the musicals and plays showing. On our last day there (Mark's last day) he and I went to catch Avenue Q, essentially a Muppet's show for adults which was uproariously, rip-roaringly, side-splittingly hilarious. Anyways, enough with the writing. Enjoy!
































7 Comments:

Blogger Zhu!!! said...

i love photos 2,4,7, 3rd from the last and the last photo!

and yes you just reminded me that i need to lose weight.
thankew horh! i love your timely reminders wlw...

L AAAYYYYYYYYY!!! i promise i wont be a bulb. =)

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look so damn ugly. Dis-Gus-Ting. Please stick to humanless posts. Or at least posts without you in it. Thanks

2:03 PM  
Blogger Zhu!!! said...

wow. sweet comment there.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DON'T ANYHOW SAY MY BROTHER LA.

I think my brother is good looking leh! Even my friends think so.

:D

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahaahahaa. anonymous loser la. ahahhaahaha

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA, jie i was so tickled by your comment, and yes u crazy anon, i love my brother! (: and he's not ugly my goodness, what are u?

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i LOVE the photos, please, please, please post more! especially ones with you in them. those are the hottest. smoking hot. on fire. scorching.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home