Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Second City

So it's been a quiet few months and I am terribly sorry for those who have been waiting with bated breath. It isn't that I've forgotten everyone at home (heaven forbid!) but it's just that it's been such a wonderfully exhilarating and unbelievable few months that collecting memories and detailing history just seems so tedious and banal compared to actually living in the present and anticipating the future.

Before anything else though, just a note to anon hater: It's terribly flattering that you've been coming back to my blog these past few months to check on how I've been doing. You might just be my one most loyal reader! Mayhaps a prize is in order!

When we last spoke, I had just returned from Spring break. Since then, I have ended 10 glorious month in St Louis, moved west to Los Angeles for 3 weeks and am now in the midst of a 2 month stint in the Windy City, the Second City, this fairest of cities, Chicago.

Truth of the matter is, I am dreadfully homesick but I believe that certain opportunities cross one's path seldom enough that when they do turning away would be nothing short of folly.

It does help of course that Chicago has quite literally taken my breath away. I've written about this city before but visiting the city is nothing like living in it and everyday makes me fall in love with it a little bit more. My morning commute takes me down lake shore drive which is bordered on the west by a tributary from Lake Michigan and on the east by Lake Michigan itself. A gleaming blue-green expanse of shining water stretching mile after glorious mile to the horizon as far as the eye can see. It's hard to believe that it's a lake when the other shore is not visible and countless pristine white sails dot its sparkling surface. I am always seized by a sense of peace, even if for a moment, when I stare out the window and to the distance imagining the distant shore. The moment passes however and an urge of wanderlust arises, sometimes almost irresistable, to sail far beyond the horizon into lands unknown. These are romanticised daydreamings of course, the far shore is Michigan and in the north, Lake Huron. Prosaic realities of course make for far less engaging writing material so allow the indulgence.

In any event, more shall be forthcoming soon enough. Pictures too!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope you get the same feeling of peace when you return home and see the mountain of costumes you need to sew for law iv.

hahaha that's the price to pay for playing me out!

10:41 PM  
Blogger Zhu!!! said...

hello i think you are loving living in chic so much cos for the longest time, you were staying in a shitass lil city!!!

any semi-nice city without pollution would make you fall in love with it in a jiffy!

that said. yes. chic is beautiful.

and.

i'm having such awful awful second-thoughts and what-if panic pangs now!

3:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear OBL,

I am terribly terribly terribly sorry I really really am! But I am trying to make up for it by trying to raise money! I promise! And I will help you with all the costumes and any other saigang you want. PROMISE.

Dear Zhu!

Re City loving, you are most probably right. Re second thoughts, we all have them but I am sure you will be great wherever you are. I know so. :)

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home