Monday, October 23, 2006

GO CARDINALS GO!!!

Heavens. I am loving this country more and more with each passing day. Not to say of course, that everything's perfect and a-ok but for now, I am truly, madly and deeply in love.

2 momentous events this past week.

1. National League Championship playoffs between the St Louis Cardinals and the New York Mets with Zach (GOOOO CAAARRRDDSSS!!!!!)

2. Chicago with Shoko.

On the first, I must say that while the experience came with a rather hefty price tag, it was worth evey penny. As I'm sure all of you know, I've never been much of a sports fan, but I think that's just about to change with Tuesday's game. Since coming to the states, I've been to 2 baseball games, the first between the St Louis Cards and the Pittsburgh Pirates and the second, the Championship playoffs last tuesday. What a world of difference the playing field makes, the former being one of the preliminary rounds and the latter a championship game. The first game was dull and about as fascinating as CLT, the second was so tension filled and alive with energy, I swear I almost got a gastric ulcer. It was fantastic really, feeling the palpable energy and the air so thick with anticipation you could cut through it with a knife. I've often wondered how people can be so passionate about a game they don't even play but that night I got a taste of that mind-gripping fanatacism and passion.



The Busch Stadium, home to the St Louis Cardinals. (GOOOOOO CAAARRRRDDSSS!!!!)




zach, who studied in NUS for 1 year, learning mandarin (he speaks mandarin very fluently) and got his Masters in Philosophy on Sino-American relations from Hong Kong. He unfortunately had to endure the game with constant questions along the lines of what?! WHAT HAPPENED?!!!



The view of the pitch from our tamade damn good seats.


Big screen, Crazy fans


National League Championship Series (WHICH WE WON!! GOOOOOOO CCCAAARRRRRDDDSSS!!!!!)


ABSOLUTELY EXHILARATING I TELL YOU. Lost my voice even. FANTASTIC. The mad euphoria and the ridiculously high spirits of the crowd, no doubt aided in large portions by copious amount of beer (the stadium is named for the biggest beer manufacturer in the world) (mother, I assure you, I had none of it) no doubt was so infectious we were riding on a high all the way home.

On thursday, Shoko and I (I swear, cross my heart and hope to die, we ARE NOT DATING!!!) made a trip up to Chicago, which is 5 hours drive and 1 hour flight away from St Louis. Not that far but my goodness, what a world of difference it is! Chicago is the third largest city and metropolitan area in TUSOA (The United States Of America) with a population of 9 million.

At this point, you would expect that I would load some pictures, write abit more about Chicago and how I was absolutely and completely swept off my feet in 4 days. You would also, however, be wrong, because I am now rather tired and have a tonne of readings to catch up on. As such dear friends, stay tuned for Liangwei's non-dating adventures in Chicago. Till then, have lots of fibre and stay healthy!

3 Comments:

Blogger Zhu!!! said...

YOU. NEED. A. HAIRCUT.

and yes!! I loved the baseball games that i went to!! Although, it took me and ruth FOREVER to figure out what was going on, etc. and we didnt have someone to "what?! what happened?!" to!

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya!ur hair is damn long ! now i noe i cannot leave long hair too. hahaa. but its cool. oh do u have tennis matches ! i wish i had learnt tennis.

10:05 AM  
Blogger tipsyfaeries said...

i am waiting to read Sam's comment. i am just waiting. hahaha

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home